Friday, January 8, 2010

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH JAMIL KAZMI

Hello er'body. Today's guest is another up-and-coming crossover artist in Japan, Jamil Kazmi!

Jamil Kazmi (born February 23, 1985) is a crossover hip-hop artist in Japan. Originally from the US, Jamil moved to Japan for school and eventually began to pursue a career in music in the land of the rising sun. Having worked with the likes of Nesian Mystik, WISE (TERIYAKI BOYZ), Speech (Arrested Development) as well as being an MC for a group in Japan called KASUMI, he is now preparing for his debut solo single release!

In 2008, you teamed up with Japanese singer Metis, TERIYAKI BOYZ member Wise, and legendary Arrested Development member Speech to record and perform the song “Everybody”, which was the theme song for the Japanese dub of the more recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon in the U.S. (hence the temporary group name ‘Turtles 4’). How did you hookup with them for that gig and how was the experience?
I had worked with Metis before, I did a record with her for her “Woman” Album and her manager had came to me saying they wanted to do a theme song for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I grew up watching that show, so I was like..definatley. I thought id be cool if we did a group of 4 (cause 4 turtles) and did it with 2 Japanese and 2 American artists. I actually reached out to speech through MySpace. Very down to earth dude, and I heard from him later that he gets 100s of emails a week asking him to do collobos with various artists, but something just stood out about my email. Then I’ve known Wise from way back, and his favorite rapper is Speech, so for him I guess it was a no-brainer.

You did a song with Chinese rapper NYCCA for his first full-length album “V.O.W. ~ Victory Over War” – can you describe that experience?
Nycca was the first Artist I met when I came to Tokyo. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have half of the connections I have here, I don't even know if Id be doing music here. We have a brother like bond, so I try and support him in everything he does.

How did you first get involved in music?
I have always written poetry, ever since I was a little kid. I think everyone has a way to vent out there feelings and frustrations, and for me it was just to simple put it on paper. Then when I reached like 10 years old I really started getting into music, and you mix poetry with music..thats hiphop. It just evolved from there.

Why did you decide to do music in Japan as supposed to say the United States or something?
I did the indies thing in America for a while. Its not like I said no to USA and yes and Japan..I came out here for school and everything just clicked into place. I mean, if I can make a living off music, I don't really care where I am.

Is there any specific times in your life or anything that is around you on a daily basis that gives you the inspiration and energy needed to write music?
Everything inspires me. I pretty much come home everyday and jot lyrics down, and when I’m walking around town I’m always thinking up a new melody or something.

Can fans expect new material from you anytime soon?
YES! I signed with Pony Canyon as a solo artist and I have my debut single coming out 2/17.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
Yea there are a few. I really like collaborations, you end up coming up with something that both of you couldn't do alone. I’ve actually already done a few amazing collaborations that will be out soon, but that's all I can say. Hehe.

Are you doing any projects and/or campaigning for anything right now aside from your music career?
This single coming out in February will be my first solo single, so its pretty much all eyes on that right now. Once I finish the album and stuff settles, Id like to mess around with some other stuff as well.

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
Yea Ive got everything on my Ipod. I just glanced at it and the first few songs were…Linkin Park, Simple Plan, Eminem, Radwimps, Shimizu Shouta and some songs from Disney.

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
My closest musician friend is probably Futoshi from Aqua Timez. Nycca introduced us actually.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not super busy?
Just hang out with friends, watch a movie, read a book, or make a super weird song for no reason.

Is there anything you’d like to improve on as a musician?
Everything. I’m learning as I go, I believe in myself and I know I have a message
to portray and that's why I’m here. On the other hand, I have to be my own worst
critic.

To the critical question now. You are still fresh on the Japanese music scene, and music tastes and styles are changing quickly in this day and age. Where do you see music in Japan going in the future, in the sense of changing tastes, and will this allow you continued creativity down the road?
In a sense I think I am one of the new school. Japanese music has been stuck in a box in the past, but some people are starting to think outside that box. Most importantly, the fans are starting to acknowledge these different sounds and styles of music and are viben` with it.

What are your plans overall for this new year?
Its all about the music man.

Do you have any final words for the readers?
Yea. I just finished my music video. I know my man will be a link up here for you guys to see. Other than that, I got a website being made so in the meanwhile just check out my blog and you will definitely be hearing a lot from me soon.

http://ameblo.jp/jamilblog
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAds2xn9N-0


Tada! Another fresh artist to look forward to, thanks for that Jamil, and till next time, hasta luego!

J~


Jamil Kazmi

No comments:

Post a Comment