Thursday, August 6, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH MILIYAH KATO

Hey guys, here for your reading pleasure is the very first rhythm.connection interview ever, with highly acclaimed Japanese R&B singer Miliyah Kato! Enjoy!

Miliyah Kato (real name Miho Kato, born June 22, 1988 in Toyota, Japan) is a Japanese R&B/urban singer, and designer for fashion brand Kawi Jamele. She debuted in 2004 with her hit single 'Never Let Go', and it was one of the 30 best singles at the time for 5 weeks straight. To compliment that, her latest single, 'Forever Love' has become her best selling single to date, and her vocals and lyrics are bringing her to the top. Having worked with the likes of Shota Shimizu, Dohzi-T, ROMA Tanaka, m-flo, TARO SOUL, Shonan no Kaze, and many others, this girl has taken Japan by storm, and now spares some time to give us her insight on things thus far!

How long have you been doing music professionally for?
Well professionally, 8 years!

What style of music generally is your forte, and which musicians provide inspiration for your tracks?
I listen to all types of music but mostly Pop, R&B, Hip-Pop, and Dance.

You just recently released a single called ‘Forever Love’ and teamed up with singer Shota Shimizu for this collab, and this single became your best selling single to date and certified Gold in Japan. How did you guys meetup to do this collaboration and did it meet or surpass your expectations after you finished writing and releasing it?
'Forever Love' is one my favorite collabs and favorite songs I have done. Working with Shota was great. I met him in 2008 when his first song 'Home' came out. I honestly never thought that the single would be that huge.

You also announced a new album, called ‘Ring’, to be released in July, and it’s your fifth album to date. How was the process of writing new songs, if any, for the album, and did you draw any inspiration for any recent events in your life or around you to write those songs?
Actually the album is done. I'm just picking the right songs for for the album. I want this album to be one of my best albums yet. As for the songs, some of them I have been writing. The songs I wrote for this album are more love songs or about love.

Can listeners expect any new collaboration songs in the future from you?
Yes they can; all I can say is keep your ears open and your eyes focused or you'll miss something! lol

Are you doing any projects and/or campaigning for anything right now aside from your music career?
The current project I have finished was my 'Ring' album, besides that I haven't really been doing any other projects.

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
Well lately I have been playing alot of Michael Jackson's music. I was deeply sadden to know that our 'KING OF POP' is dead, I just couldn't believe it. Besides all that my current obsessesion is LADY GAGA. I love her music.

You’ve been active as a professional musician for 8 years, give or take. How does it feel so far? Do you feel you have more to accomplish? Is there anything you still want to do, both in your music career and outside of it?
My goal was to be a singer and I got my wish. I do feel I have way more to accomplish in the future with music and fashion. There's nothing special that I want to do with my music exspect for help people.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
Most of my songs are based on everyday life, in mine or a friend's life. I try to write and create music that inspires people, help them and make songs that people can relate to.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
I want to work with one of my musician friends in Japan or an American artist.

Since you’re also an English-speaking musician, have you ever considered trying to break into the American music scene, and why or why not?
Yes I really really want to cross over. I think I will do really good in America but not right now because I feel my work in Japan is not done yet.

Can fans in North America expect a concert or tour from you anytime down the road?
I haven't really thought about that, but I say no because I'm not ready to and I wouldn't expect Americans to know my music lol.

This next one is one I’ve been wondering myself. In 2005, you did a song with DJ/MC duo m-flo called ‘ONE DAY’. How’d you hookup with the m-flo boys, and how was the experience of working with them?
First and foremost, I want to say the guys of M-Flo are some of the most coolest people I have ever met lol. I always wanted to work with M-Flo but never realy thought about it. When my manager told me that M-Flo wanted to work with me I was so so so happy. One of favorite collabs was "ONE DAY".

I’ve heard that you’re also a designer. How are things going on that end?
Yes I am and it's been going great. I design for this line called Kawi Jamele. I always wanted to be a designer when I was a kid so working with Kawi Jamele is a real blessing to me.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not recording or touring?
In my spare time I usually go shopping lol. I LOVE shopping - what girl doesn't? My favorite place to shop like most of my friends in Japan is Shibuya.

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
My closest musician friend? lol That is so hard to choose since I have so many, but I would say probably Thelma Aoyama. I love her to death!! lol There just too many of my good musician friends in Japan. I met Thelma when she was just starting out in 2007 with her first single "ONE WAY". Thelma and I met at a Kawi Jamele store (that is the line I help design) in 2007. We have been great friends ever since then.

To the critical question now. You’ve been a key player in music for some time now, and music tastes and styles are changing quickly in this day and age. Where do you see music in Japan going in the future, in the sense of changing tastes, and will this allow you continued creativity down the road?
I think music in Japan will always be surrounded by Pop/R&B/Hip-Pop influences. As long as theres music, there's Miliyah Kato :)

Do you feel you’ve contributed to the advancement of music in Japan as a R&B singer? And is there anything you’d like to see done in this whole genre of music in Japan?
I do feel that I have contributed in a way as a R&B singer. I would like to see more mixed genres like Miura Daichi's song 'Delete My Memories'. The song is a mixed genre of Pop,Hip-Pop and R&B. I want to do more of that in the future!


There you have it! Hopefully I will be able to do some more interviews with some of my favorite musicians! Thanks again to Miliyah herself for the interview, and thanks for reading, until next time, peace out!

J~


Miliyah Kato

No comments:

Post a Comment