Monday, August 31, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH SOWELU

Hey guys, what's up? Back again with a new interview. Enter J-pop singer Sowelu!

Aki Harada aka Sowelu (born November 6, 1982 in Tokyo, Japan) is a Irish-Japanese pop singer. She officially debuted in 2002 with her hit single 'Beautiful Dreamer', and gained more recognition with the release of her first album 'Geofu'. Being of a mixed background, she brings a very unique voice to the table, one that has garnered her many hit singles as well as collabs with big artists like m-flo, EXILE, and many others. As well she just made a big switch in labels, now being housed in Avex's Rhythm Zone label. Now she was able to spare a moment to talk with me about her career as well as where she's hoping to take it!

How long have you been doing music professionally for?
Professionally, a really long time! Like a year or two before my official debut.

What style of music do you generally play, and which musicians provide inspiration for your sound?
I listen to anything that sounds good like pop, rock, and R&B.

Earlier this year, in March, you released a “best of” album called “Sowelu THE BEST 2002-2009”, featuring an array of your hit tracks since your debut, as well as a new track produced by DJ Taku Takahashi of m-flo called “MATERIAL WORLD”. How was the process of putting together this album?
It wasn't hard considering that all the songs were already recorded.

In August 2007, you collaborated with EXILE and Doberman Inc. on a track called “24karats”. How was that experience?
It was awesome and I had a great time, since I've always been a fan of Doberman INC. and EXILE.

Can fans expect new material from you anytime soon?
Well recently I did a song called "The moment I saw you" from SOFFet's new album due out on 9.30

How did you get the name “Sowelu”?
Sowelu is an Irish nickname my mom and Irish family called me ever since I was young. It means “sun”.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
There really isn't anyone I want to collab with considering I never thought about it, LOL. Whatever comes along comes along :)

Are you doing any projects and/or campaigning for anything right now aside from your music career?
The only thing I've been doing since my best album and single "Material World" was recording and I just recently came back from Hawaii.

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
Well like every other person in Japan - Lady Gaga and Namie Amuro, LOL! It's a crime if they’re not in your iPod lol.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
My creative flow just comes to me. I guess I'm just a natural lol.

You’ve been active as a professional musician for 10 years, give or take. How does it feel so far? Do you feel you have more to accomplish? Is there anything you still want to do, both in your music career and outside of it?
There’s not really anything I want to do but be there for my family and create more great songs. I hope to do more songs just like Material World.

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
Hands down Miliyah Kato is my best friend! lol

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not recording or touring?
I'm usually with my family and my friend Youko.

To the critical question now. You have been involved in music for some time now, and music tastes and styles are changing quickly in this day and age. Where do you see music in Japan going in the future, in the sense of changing tastes, and will this allow you continued creativity down the road?
I really want to do more songs like Material World and Lady Gaga's style of music. It seems like ever since Material World I've wanted to do more dance pop/club songs. Hopefully I get to do those songs with Emi Hinouchi and Taku Takahashi again someday.

Do you feel you’ve contributed to the advancement of music in Japan as a J-pop singer? And is there anything you’d like to see done in this whole genre of music in Japan?
I want Japan to do more stuff like Lady Gaga, or maybe I just really love Lady Gaga, lol. Hopefully I have contributed to the music industry.


That's all folks! Thank you to Sowelu for this brief interview, and until next time, saiyounara!

J~


Sowelu

No comments:

Post a Comment