Friday, September 11, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH LYDIA PAEK

Guess what! A double feature for Sept. 11/09! Let's see what's up with Quest Crew/Boxcuttuhz member Lydia Paek!

Lydia Paek (born March 28, 1990 in Los Angeles, California) is a member of dance crews Quest Crew and Boxcuttuhz. She is also a singer, and she has made quite a name for herself. From a young age she showed much potential as both a dancer and a singer, and has gone through many challenges so far to get where she is today. But with every struggle, she says, God is there too. She just recently hosted ISA 2009 in San Gabriel alongside Tom Ngo, and she keeps busy with practices with both dance crews as well as other gigs. Now take a look as we find out who Lydia Paek really is!

How long have you been dancing for?
5 years

What style(s) of dance do you specialize in?
Breaking, funk, choreo.

Your primary dance crew is Quest Crew. How did you hookup with them originally?
I sessioned with them a long time ago, and I became friends with then, they wanted me in because of my potential, not cause I was good. Cause I was not good a long time ago haha.

You’re also a member of Boxcuttuhz, which you joined during your time in ABDC season 3. How are things going with you guys after ABDC?
They are good, just doing our own things, shows here and there, traveling, training,and sessioning.

Are you working on any big projects or events right now, either by yourself, with Quest, or with Boxcuttuhz?
Just training more with both crews and my own music.

What is your training schedule like?
Random ahah

Who are your favorite dancers?
I have a lot - Yoshie, narumi, shi chen, sean evaristo, lando wilkins, alottttttt...I can go on forever.

Who are your closest dance crew buddies?
TM, Quest, Common Ground, Fanny Pack, RingMasters, KabaModern, and more :)

Aside from dance, you also sing. How long have you done that for?
Umm I actually started dancing first then singing lol, since I was in jr high.

Who are your biggest musical influences?
stevie wonder, luther, india arie, lauryn hill, maxwell, kim burell, smokie norful...etc.

In several of your YouTube videos, you’ve been seen playing alongside guitarist Aj Rafael. How did you two meet?
Through Randolf Permejo, basically mutual friends.

Would you ever consider doing a career in music aside from your dancing, and why or why not?
Yes I think singing comes with dancing.

What do you do in your spare time when not playing shows or practicing?
cook, draw, hangout, sew, make music, write, workout.

What is your current obsession at the moment, and it can be anything!
Hello Kitty and Dove chocolate hahaha.

“I talk with a melody and walk by beats” is your motto. How did you come up with it?
I don't know, I write a lot so I was on a roll with this one spoken word I did, it just came out, I made it up and I stay true to it.

When are you happiest the most?
When someone around me is playing music.

What is your favorite Bible verse, and why?
Mark ch. 11 verse 23 and on, because it gives me strength and security.

Do you have any advice for people who want to pursue either dancing or singing?
No matter what, never let anyone down you for what you love to do, it might be hard and I won't lie, its gonna be a struggle but your gonna enjoy it at the same time. If you pursue it make sure you put your heart into it cause anything to do with music comes from the soul, you make your own story to tell through dancing and singing.

And finally, after everything you’ve accomplished or done, is there one thing you haven’t done yet that you want to accomplish, something very important, very ‘epic’ as I phrase things like that, what would it be?
Ummm, be on a TV show like acting I guess even if i suck at it, make an album, make my own line of clothes, lol I have a lot more to accomplish and achieve, we'll see where I am in about 10 years ahaha.


And there you have it! Thanks to Lydia for the interview, and saiyonara for now!

J~


Lydia Paek

No comments:

Post a Comment