Tuesday, October 6, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH YouTube MUSICIANS - EDELEN ANGELES

Yo! Been a while since I posted an interview with a musicians...but this interview was long overdue to be posted...so here it is, my chat with Edelen Angeles!

Edelen Angeles (born October 17, 1989 in Chula Vista, California) is a Cali-based YouTube acoustic musician who got attention with her songs like "Smile" and "Catch of My Day". She isn't as active these days, but she spoke with me a few weeks ago in mid-September to chat about what's up with her!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I've been writing since i was like...12? But got pretty serious when i was around 16 or 17. I kinda just do it independently - when I was on YouTube and all that I had a couple offers to have my songs used for a couple indie films but i always lagged on getting them a sample haha.

What style of music do you generally play?
Lots of acoustic. Stuff from the heart.

How did you first get involved in music?
My dad played music his whole life, so I guess it's in the genes, kinda?

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
I kinda just wanted to see if people could relate, whether they were feeling happy or sad (unfortunately I found more people could relate to my sad songs haha) and even if they could relate to my sad stuff more, at least they could be sad and not alone.

Who are your biggest musical influences?
The beatles, prettyman, branch, mraz, mayer, some city in colour, you know, kids who can pick up a guitar and write their own stuff.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
It felt pretty cool, I always thought my stuff was shit but people on youtube seem to think otherwise.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
I'd kind of like to sing with my good friend jeffery vanwinkle. jason mraz would be pretty sick too.

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
hahah I did a cover of 'better together' that got like 15,000 views. my most popular original song probably has to be Catch of my Day, or Smile.

Can fans expect another cover or original song from you soon?
hahah yeah man i've got tons of new stuff. im kind of trying to stray away from covers, but songs are so damn catchy i can't really help but wanna learn them. haha but yeah ive got some new stuff on the way, i just need to find myself a camera or something :]

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
I dig a lot of classic rock. a lot of paul and lennon. i like a lot of hardcore and the occasional african beats.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
Anywhere i'm alone. like a garage or a closet haha

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
I'd probably have to say all the boys in Macguyver. they're a local San Diego band that'll make it big real soon. I met them in college, a great band of boys. I love you guys!!

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
Shower, collect sponges.

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
Music is everyone's soundtrack, I just want to write something and have it able to take you some place nice, or some place not so nice. as long as it makes people feel something, feel human, then that in itself is a huge accomplishment for me.


Waah, there it is peeps. Those are some inspiring words from Edelen, muchas gracias to her for this interview, and thanks for reading. Till next, cheers!

J~


Edelen Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment