Sunday, February 14, 2010

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH YouTube MUSICIANS - KRYSTLE TUGADI

Hey guys, round 2 for tonight, with my guest...Krystle Tugadi!

Krystle Tugadi (born March 15, 1985) is a Cali-based YouTube singer/songwriter. Having been part of the second wave of YouTube music stars alongside Mike Isberto and Kris Mark Cardenas, Krystle already has a strong fanbase and continues to perfect her singing talent. Krystle shared some thoughts me during our interview, so I hope you enjoy!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I've been doing music for 6 years. I started playing local coffee shops and have been working my way up from there since.

What style of music do you generally play?
Oh man! I am Krystle Tugadi: the potpourri of music! I love to touch on a lot of different genres in music; but home for me is R&B/Soul/Pop.

How did you first get involved in music?
Well, I KNEW I wanted to do music since I was 3 years old. I saw a KOST commerical with Whitney Houston singing and told my Uncle to turn on the karaoke machine because I wanted to do exactly THAT. I started singing at family functions when I was 4, joined the children's choir at my church, and did school plays. And that's what I did to get started!

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
At first, I started posting up videos for fun. My first couple of videos were ridiculous--for example, my "I'm A Little Teapot Remix" video. Haha. But I slowly began to take it a little more seriously and thought it'd be a great way to get my voice out there and show the world what I could do!

Who are your biggest musical influences?
Oh man. I have so many! Well, to name a few: Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Etta James, Alicia Keys, Stevie Wonder, Sara Bareilles, Beyonce, Corrinne Bailey Rae, Marc Broussard, Boyz II Men, Kelly Clarkson, Pink...oh my, the list can go on and on.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
I don't think anyone can understand how much everyone's support means to me. This music thing is NOT easy, especially if you want to go all the way. To know that people are there for me and believe in my craft is amazing and my appreciation to them is immeasurable.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
Probably EVERYONE I listed under biggest musical influences. Haha. Oh! And Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth! I would love to break out into musical theater, too, someday!

What has been one of your most memorable experiences as a musician?
One of my most memorable experiences as a musician? I think one of my favorites would be when I sang at a Cypress College show and the audience was singing along to one of my originals for the first time. Having people know your songs to the point where they can sing along with you is an AWEOME feeling.

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
I think the "Sweet Dreams" cover is the most popular right now. I think my most popular original song is "I Love You So Bad." Haha. I need to post up more of my recent originals!

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
My iTunes has a plethora of different artists and genres. I can't get enough of music! But most of the time, I listen to a lot of female vocalists like Alicia, Kelly, and Sara.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
My room. Especially before bed. Before I hit the sack, I usually reflect on all the events, thoughts, and ideas I came across during the day and that's when I have A LOT to say. And anywhere I can get my hands on a piano or guitar works for me!

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
When I'm not doing music, you can probably find me cooking! I LOVE FOOD AND I LOVE TO COOK! You might wanna stay away because I will surely fatten you up! Haha. You can also find me reading a good book, playing boardgames with friends, watching a movie, or watching GLEE or THE OFFICE! Haha.

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
Music really is so universal and evokes our every emotion. Music is versatile in how it communicates to people and how they can react to it. Music can have the power to recall a beautiful memory or remind of you the hurt you've been through or inspire you to be a stronger person. What I would love to accomplish with my music is to be able to tap into people's deepest thoughts, love, insecurities, sadness, anger, happiness...and make them feel like they're not alone. We are all experiencing what it is to be human; and to connect with an audience, like really connect, would be my greatest accomplishment. And doing that forever, everyday, would be a dream come true.

Do you have any final words for the readers?
Thank you ALL for the love and support. You really have no idea how much it means to me. REALLY.

And to all you dreamers out there, GO BIG OR GO HOME! Mediocrity is the biggest burden we can carry.

...and hey, just LOVE. We can only just have TODAY. :)


Voila! Thank you to Krystle for allowing me to do this prior to her departure to her current location in the Phillipines! And thank you for reading once again, g'day!

J~


Krystle Tugadi

No comments:

Post a Comment