Sunday, February 14, 2010

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH YouTube MUSICIANS - KEVIN KAHO [aka kevinkahomusic]

Hey folks, back again with another interview - meet Kevin Kaho!

Kevin Kaho (born May 31) is a Hong Kong-based YouTube singer/songwriter, previously based out of Manchester, England while in school. This rising musician cites guys like The Beatles, Kina Grannis and David Choi as one of his biggest influences among many. Please take some time to hear what he has to say!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
Well I've been singing in the bathroom since I was about 4 years old lol, but the YouTube thing was only started about a year ago. I am neither doing it professionally or independently, I'm only doing it for fun and because I love sharing my music with the world! :)

What style of music do you generally play?
I play mostly pop / folk music, well so far for my covers anyways.

How did you first get involved in music? And what made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
My dad has this guitar which mum bought him during the 70s. I've always been messing with it since I was young and i eventually bought my own guitar when I was at high school. As for YouTube: Simply because of one person - David Choi. He is without a doubt my biggest inspiration for starting my YouTube channel. The other major reason is because YouTube music isn't actually big at all in a conservative city such as Hong Kong, and even up til today there are only handful of numbers of YouTube musicians out there in my city, so, I wanted to contribute to the community and make a change perhaps.

Who are your biggest musical influences?
THE BEATLES / THE BEATLES / THE BEATLES. I grew up listening to them, pretty much everyday, and I can honestly say til this day they still are my biggest musical influences. Besides them I am really into Brit Pop Indie Band such as The Arctic Monkeys and Oasis, they are lyrical masters. But Pop plays a major part in my music, and anything that sounds good to me, I'll give it a go really! :)

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
To be honest with you, I don't, since I havn't actually told many people about the YouTube thing. I'd say only a handful of close friends know what I do and of course they'r the best for being so loving and supportive towards me. I hope my parents aren't looking at this article by the way lol!

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
Singing with David Choi or Kina Grannis would be my dream :)

You've done quite a few videos with Robyn Yip. How did you meet her?
Robynn! I first saw her in a short film by WongFuProduction called 'The One Days: HK', then I found out she's a brilliant musician also! So we met up this one afternoon and did a few songs ~ She's very talented, and I've been lucky enough to have collaborated with her. In fact, I consider our duet cover of 'Won't Even Start' as my best cover / video to date :)

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
Based on views and comments from fans, and haters - the Bad Romance Cover is the most popular one. But the one that I'm most proud of is as mentioned above the duet of 'Won't Even Start' and also a cover of a Cantonese Song in which I changed the lyrics into English. As for original song, I've only put one up so far, I promise there'll be lot more coming soon!

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
On my iPhone I have anything from Classical to Cheesy Pop, 60s Rock n Roll to Modern Techno. But as mentioned I listen to The Beatles all the time, and I love Michael Jackson, I really do. When I was younger I used to listen to lots of mainstream music, but it was only until I went to University I discovered the wonder of Brit Indie Pop music, or band music in general!

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
I don't have any preferences for song writing. I've written songs in cafe, on the streets, at the underground, even in the toilet etc... Sometimes when something special flashes thru your mind, you just gotta treasure it and capture that very moment, and in my case, I just write the music and lyrics on my iPhone lol!

I hear you met Gerald Ko aka singindork888 in Hong Kong recently; where and how was the moment?
That was one of the craziest things ever. That morning, I watched Gerald's cover of Fireflies on YouTube before I left home, 30 mins later, I bumped into him IN PERSON by chance on a random platform in an Underground station, in Hong Kong! I was so scared to approach him at the time, knowing the fact that he lives in US, but then I thought, come on it's gotta be him! He's was so happily surprised to find someone noticing him in a foreign country, and we had a short chat and all. That was such a special day! I was over the moon and dancing like a child all day long haha! "It's a small world after all bla bla bla..."

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
I love sports, so I do a lot of that when I'm not doing music.

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
My ultimate goal is to eventually start a band, or get into a band, and play my favorite band music. That has always been a dream of mine since I was young.

Do you have any final words for the readers?
I love you all for reading this, from the bottom of my heart. It means the world to me! Thanks for your support! L.O.V.E


Another awesome musician to watch out for - thanks to Kevin for doing this, and until next time, later days!

J~


Kevin Kaho

1 comment: