Tuesday, August 24, 2010

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH YouTube MUSICIANS - OLIVIA THAI

Hey guys! Yes I'm back now, and here for my return is one of two long overdue interviews that were supposed to be posted before my hiatus for the summer. Here is my chat with Olivia Thai!

Olivia Thai (born December 20) is a YouTube singer based out of San Gabriel, California. She has partaken in many singing competitions in California and already boasts a large fan/subscriber base on YouTube. She took some time to answer a few questions for me!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently? How did you first get your start in music?

I have loved music since birth, and I've had quite a long journey with music since then. It's been about six years since I began pursuing a career in music. My first encounter with music began with singing, piano, and violin at a very young age, but I later moved on to teaching myself how to play the guitar.

What style of music do you generally perform?

I like to bring a soul-touch to every song I sing.

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?

My former roommates at UCLA inspired me to start posting videos, and it was probably the bravest thing I've ever done in my career.

Who are your biggest musical influences?

In no particular order: Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Anita Baker, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Ray Charles.... I could go on for years.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?

It's amazing to know that so many people are supporting me for who I am and the music that I share. My journey in pursuing music has been bumpy at times, but at the end of the day, I can turn to my viewers for moral support.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?

Wouldn't it be awesome if Aretha Franklin and I did a duet?!

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?

Cover: "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga

Original: "We All Look the Same" by me

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you're at home?

My preferences change from time to time, but here's what's spinning in my car: the new Sade album, Best of Anita Baker, Mariah Carey's new album, Faye Wong, and a bunch of CDs from my voice lessons. Haha

Where's the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?

My teaching studio :)

Who are your closest musician friends, and how did you meet?

Unfortunately, none of my close friends are musicians, but if any of my musician-acquaintances ever become close friends, I'll let you know!

What do you do in your spare time when you're not playing music?

I really don't have too much spare time because I teach music full-time and I am still going to school. With the very little spare time I do have, I like to hang out with my family and I have tea with friends and cousins.

What do you hope to accomplish as a musician?

I would like to inspire people all over the world through music. It is important for me to be a good role model by making a difference.

Do you have any final words for the readers?

After all of these questions, I never even had the chance to say, "hello." So, hello there! :)


There's that, thanks to Olivia for the time, and thanks for reading, ciao!

J~



Olivia Thai

No comments:

Post a Comment