Tuesday, August 24, 2010

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH TIANDA FLEGEL

Hey guys, here's the other overdue interview, with The Next Star season 2 winner - Tianda Flegel!

Tianda Flegel (born December 23, 1994 in Medicine Hat, Alberta) is a Canadian singer-songwriter and winner of season 2 of YTV's hit talent show The Next Star.

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently? How did you first get your start in music?

I started singing when I was three or four, I started writing at around age seven, and I started performing at around age 10. I started out doing local talent shows and competitions, and performing for family and friends. I got my first real exposure opportunity on YTV's reality tv series "The Next Star," which opened a lot of doors for me. I write all styles of music, but I put a real focus on country pop. My roots always go back to country music.

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?I started youtubing a couple years ago to show my videos to my family and friends, and then after I appeared on 'The Next Star,' youtube became a good outlet for me to use to reach out and interact with my fans.

Who are your biggest musical influences?I am influenced a lot by country music. Taylor Swift, Michelle Branch, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood. I really love what they're doing and I also really look up to them.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?It's amazing. Getting support for doing something you love is all one can really hope for. So it's just been extremely great.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?There are so many. I would love to work with Taylor Swift, Chris Daughtry, or Keith Urban.

Most people who know your music know how you got big; the second season of the hit YTV show 'The Next Star'. In brief words, explain how that experience helped to shape you as a musician and what some of your favorite moments were.Being on the show really gave me my first sense of what being in the business was like. Suddenly I was doing interviews, and had fans, it was all really new to me, but I learned a lot. I think my favorite moment was when we got to bring YTV back to my hometown and film a homecoming. It was amazing watching all of my friends and family on TV supporting me.

Recently, you released a single called 'Liar Liar'. What was the theme behind this song?Liar Liar was basically written about a boy who was lying to my best friend about me and just... causing drama. It was kind of my way of getting back at him.

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?My most popular cover on youtube was definitely "One Time" by Justin Bieber, which I sang with Wren Kelly, another contestant on the show. So far, Liar Liar has been my most popular original song, which is great, because it has a music video. =]

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you're at home?I listen to a lot of country music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Miranda Lambert. I've also been listening to Bon Jovi and Tyler Hilton recently.

Where's the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?I write 99% of my songs on my bedroom floor, which is totally random, but true. It seems to work for some reason so I just go with it.

Who are closest musician friends, and how did you meet?I play a lot of music with my friends from Fraser Lake; there's a lot of talent here for a small town. I couldn't really tell you how we met... I guess it's just pretty hard NOT to meet when your town only has 1,500 people in it. Haha.

What do you do in your spare time when you're not playing music?I really like to paint and draw and do pretty much all things creative. I write a lot, too. Songs, poetry, stories, journals, you name it.

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?I eventually just want to establish myself and have a steady career. I just want to make a living doing what I love, whether it be behind the scenes as a songwriter or a producer, or on stage as a singer and a performer.

Do you have any final words for the readers?Buying my songs on itunes is good for your health. No, haha, but feel free to grab a copy. Thanks for reading. : )

Thanks to Tianda for the interview, and thanks for reading :)

J~



Tianda Flegel

No comments:

Post a Comment