Friday, October 23, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH ESNA YOON

Hey guys, what's up? New interview with YouTubing musician Esna Yoon, enjoy!

Esna Yoon (born Esther Yoon on November 7, 1987) is a California-based YouTube musician. She has garnered much attention for her soulful voice, her dancing skills and her impressive songwriting skills. As a UCLA alumni, she got a degree in Ethnomusicology with a concentration in Jazz Voice. Also, she was just recently inducted as a AFTRA member (for all you actors out there, you probably know what this is). With a busy schedule in hand, she wrote me back recently on this interview and it's now here for viewing!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I've been singing since I was 4. I played piano for about 6 years altogether. I'm pursuing the music industry professionally but I guess I'm independent right now.

What style of music do you generally play?
My music can be soul, folk, R&B, or Jazz or sometimes they're just all mixed together so it's hard to put a genre on my music.

How did you first get involved in music?
I always loved it. I never had an interest in anything else other than performing arts.

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
I realized I needed an outlet to share my music and needed people who will support my music and Youtube was a good option.

Who are your biggest musical influences?
Anita O'day, Ella Fitzgerald, Beyonce, Celine Dion, Corinne Bailey Rae, Adele.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
I can't be more thankful. I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for all the support people give me.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
I would love to do collaborations with anyone who's willing to do them with haha. But I think at this point they're already so good and established I have a lot of catching up to do before other people would consider doing collaborations with me.

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
My most popular cover??? I think right now is 'Poker Face'...maybe 'Gentlemen don't' by Gabe Bondoc

What was your inspiration behind the "Catch Esna Project"?
Nothing inspired me...I'm just wild. I just started jumping on people at this one rehearsal haha.

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
You know, ironically I don't listen to a lot of music. I rarely listen to any music.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
It's just usually in my house. I'll wake up sometimes not being able to sleep and write on my bed or just sit in front of my friend piano and clunk out notes.

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
I don't know!! I guess I could say out of all the youtube stars I'm most closest to AJ Rafael. We actually met through youtube. I covered the first song I ever heard of his "Those Lips" and he saw, commented, and we met up at his house to jam once and ever since then we just became good friends.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
I'm also getting into acting so recently I've been doing some background work for TV shows like Flash Forward, Bones, NCIS and Three Rivers.

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
I just want to be able to help people through my music. I write all my music through experiences I've been through or experiences that my friends have been through. I hope that my music can bring peace to people and ultimately just be enjoyed by my audience.

Do you have any final words for the readers?
Thank you for taking the time to read this interview and listen/watch my videos on youtube. I'm always so humbled by every comment I get. I really wouldn't have the strength to carry out my dreams if people weren't supporting me. Thank you so much!


Whoop, there it is (lame I know! lol). Thank you to Esna for the interview, and until next time, saiyounara!

J~


Esna Yoon

No comments:

Post a Comment