Friday, October 23, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH LANA MCKISSACK

Double whammy for October 21st, enter Lana McKissack!

Lana McKissack (born June 5, 1984 in Los Angeles, California) is a Cali-based YouTube musician. Apart from an impressive resume already, she's a graduate of UCLA's Ray Bolger Musical Theater Program, she is a actress/singer/songwriter who is currently unsigned, but was with Sony Music Japan when she was younger, she performed at the Sydney Opera House for the 2000 Olympics, and more recently, most people these days will recognize her as the girl in the music video for David Choi's hit song "Won't Even Start". She answered a few questions I had for her, so enjoy!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I have been singing since I was 2 years old. I signed a recording contract with Sony Records in Japan when I was 15, then moved to an independent label called Harlem Records a few years later. I'm a free agent now.

What style of music do you generally play?
I sing pop, R&B, jazz and musical theater. When no one is listening, I also rap.

How did you first get involved in music?
My parents put me in singing, acting and dancing classes when I was a little kid. I fell in love with it right away. I learned guitar and piano, but I HATED practicing so I never really advanced in those areas. I'm re-teaching myself now. =)

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
My friend Chester and I made a video together and he suggested that I start a channel of my own. It has served as a great creative outlet for me when I am feeling overwhelmed by life.

Who are your biggest musical influences?
Mariah Carey is biggest musical influence. I have loved her from day one. I have every song she has ever released. Don't tell anyone.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
Terrible. I hate support. Just kidding. It feels great! I haven't been actively seeking subscribers. I just enjoy making videos and people seem to be enjoying watching them.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
Have I mentioned that I love Mariah Carey?

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
My Umbrella cover is my most viewed video, but that may be because people are confused by the caption of the girl holding an umbrella inside her room with a fan blowing in her face.
In Your Arms is my most popular original. People keep asking when I'm going to make an official recording of that song. The answer is...as soon as possible. I just haven't had the time yet. I apologize for my procrastination.

I heard you were on the Sony Music Japan label. How was that experience?
It was a great learning experience. I felt a little like a piece of meat at the time, but looking back I was very lucky to have released songs and gone on tour. I wouldn't suggest that lifestyle to anyone under the age of 18, but it'd be fun now that I'm older and wiser. Chester and I were talking about going on a European tour together. That'd be great too.

I saw you in the music video for David Choi's song "Won't Even Start". Tell me about that experience.
We had a blast! I met David through Chester. One day, he called me and asked if I'd like to be in his first music video. I said no, but he wouldn't leave me alone. That's a lie. I was thrilled! He's such a talented singer and songwriter. I'm so happy that his career is taking off. And the Wong Fu boys are amazing. They were very professional, and so much fun to work with.

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
I listen to a lot of music made by my insanely gifted friends: Chester See, David Choi, Andy Lange, Sonos. I love Coldplay, The Streets, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Fergie, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Sara Bareilles, Paramore and Mariah. There is also an embarrassingly large portion of my iPod devoted to musical theater.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
Hm...there's not really a place I go. In fact, when I think of video concepts or lyrics, I'm usually in the middle of doing something else and my sudden bursts of inspiration are incredibly inconvenient.

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
Chester. We met in college. We also used to live 30 seconds from each other. He's a very talented and motivated guy, and a great friend. More importantly, he has amazing abs.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
I am actually spending most of my time working on my acting career at the moment. When I'm not doing that, I like to have jam sessions with friends, play pranks on people, and watch The Office.

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
I hope to keep learning, evolving and finding new styles of music to get excited about. I don't ever want to get to the point where singing isn't fun for me anymore. That's kind of what happened in Japan, so I removed myself from that situation. I'm a much happier person now. =)

Do you have any final words for the readers?
Thank you all for your support and kind words. (Most of) your messages and comments are very touching and much appreciated.


Voila...another awesome blurb from another awesome artist; thank you to Lana for doing the interview. Until next time, expect some huge interviews along the way - ciao!

J~


Lana McKissack

No comments:

Post a Comment