Friday, October 23, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH SORA AN

Ayooooo. What's good? New interview for you guys today, with NYC-based rocker Sora An...please enjoy!

Sora An (born August 18, 1979 in Houston, Texas) is a Korean-American indie rock singer-songwriter based in New York City. As part of two bands (Girls Don't Cry, Hooray for Goodbye) and running her own solo act, Sora is an accomplished musician way beyond her years, and her daily life fuels the fire to write her music, she says. She has just gotten back into NYC, and before heading off again to Florida to open for the Vivian Girls, she spared some time to answer a few questions!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I have been playing off an on my whole life until recently in 2004 when i first joined an all girls pop-rock band Girls Don't Cry that was formed by 2 producers here in NYC. Before that i would play at random open mics and had a few shows i booked myself in Nyc. I am working towards this becoming a profession where i can make a fine income and continue doing what i was born to do...writing, playing, and performing! I have a band called Hooray For Goodbye (myspace.com/hoorayforgood
bye) and i play lead guitar in ....actuallly there's only one and its me:) I love my band and the woman i play with are such great souls and i feel really blessed to be a part of this musical excursion. I also do my own solo acts as Sora An (myspace.com/soraan) I write all the music and lyrics to my songs as well as record them. I use my Mac without a mic..you know that little whole on the top right corner...yeah that is what i use, and the drums loops so that i stay in perfect rhythm. It's hard for me to record with a click a beat symplifies that for me...doesn't make sense but i need the snare, top hat , and kick drum...you know it's like the heart, lungs, and breath...it works for me:) I have had a couple of friends record me with there nice programs and i am just doing as much as i can to keep myself moving forward and learning as i go. OF COURSE I WOULDN"T MIND IF SOMEONE WANTED TO WORK WITH ME IN A STUDIO SETTING;)

What style of music do you generally play?
Gosh that is kind of hard to answer...really my music ranges it can be punk pop, pop rock, to folkish alt rock to indie rock...my music defines me i dont' define my music...whatever comes out of me and depending where i am at in my life spiritually makes a huge impact on the outcome of my songs and lyrics.

How did you first get involved in music?
I grew up in Houston, Tx ...northwest Houston in a suburban area called Spring..church...my mom said when i was 3 i sang in front of the church some Gospel hyme song but i dont' remember that ....that was a LONG LONG time ago! LOL!! I used to hitthe bowls and cups with my chopsticks, and play on the piano. I felt so unenamored with the lifestlyes down in Tx that i would just play my dads guitar to fiddle around...and 5 minutes would turn into 5 hrs as the years went by. I was a binge playing guitar junkie...i would go years without picking up the guitar, and then out of nowhere i would pick it back up and play it everyday for hours for a month straight...then play here and there.

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
I didn't. My first You Tube exp was when the producers of Girls Don't Cry posted us up there. Then when i made my first music video my friend Roger who actually was in the video and also played bass on the song and added some nice spice to the song "Reciprocate" posted it. Then i posted it as well:)

Who are your biggest musical influences?
The Cure, Sunny Day Real Estate, Sigur Ros, Bjork, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Face to Face, Jane's Addiction, Elliot Smith etc...the list can go on...Church Praise and Worship Music, Piano concertos my mom made me listen too which i really appreciate now, and yes some country songs...i love it all!!

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
FANTASTIC...you know words can't really explain how it feels...gosh it's like when you find out that your crush has a crush on you...all gushy inside and i feel like my cheeks are about to crack because my smile is so wide like the great divide! I just really feel so blessed and grateful:)

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
Robert Smith:) I also want to play guitar with Madonna as well as Norah Jones:) Other than that there are so many great indie artists out there that i would love to collaborate with:)

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
"Reciprocate"...it's the only song i have on YouTube.

Have you ever considered writing purely Korean music for your fans?
Oh absolutely...my father told me a few months ago that if i were to write a song in Korean or even half english half Korean they would go crazy and the market there is on top...you know us Asians we are really good at supporting music and artists:

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
Itunes shuffle...so it ranges from my own songs, MGMT, Coldplay, Jets To Brazil, Hooray For Goodbye, Ten Minute Turns, Paris Can Wait, Bjork, Cocteau Twins, Damien Rice, De La Soul, Norah Jones, Chopin Piano Concertos, Death Cab, The SHins, David Gray, Imogean Heap, Sonic Youth, The Cure, Mogwai....it goes on and on!

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
Anywhere as well as away from NYC...it could be a simple train ride upstate, but mainly nature/new city out of state:)

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
My closest musician friend is Liz Kelly of Paris Can Wait! She is off the hook! GENIUS!! Not only that she is a beautiful person inside and out and a great friend!! I met her when we got rid of our first drummer in Girls Don't Cry, and Liz came in and replaced her...and i still remember when i first saw her in her cute ponytail sitting at her drums:) She tore some shit up on that set and her voice oh her voice is so beautiful!!

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
Grocery store, and preparing foods and cooking some foods:)

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
Heal through the power of music:) Travel around the world and experience the people, places, things, culture, GOOD FOOD. The experiences that will conduct my creative symphonies to write more songs and collaborate with other brilliant musicians as well. Donations and supporting all the non-profit organizations my mother has been in since she was in her mid 20's. Spoil my family and friends:)

Do you have any final words for the readers?
I have a new music video coming soon for "Oh it's so nice" Stay tuned!
You can check out my show listings at my MYSPACE.COM/SORAAN or WWW.SORAAN.COM
My band is opening up for the Vivian Girls October 21.2009 in Lake Worth, FL with Pretty please:)
AND.......Just in case no one told you that they loved you today ..."I LOVE YOU!!!"
You can also buy my songs on ITUNES!!


Yay, another wonderful interview done. Merci beaucoup to Sora for the interview. Keep your eyes open for new interviews soon...with Lana McKissack, Kina Grannis, Far East Movement, Esna Yoon, Mike Isberto, Clara Chung, Kele Okereke of Bloc Party, and more! :)

J~


Sora An

No comments:

Post a Comment