Wednesday, December 30, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH YouTube MUSICIANS - RAELYNNE ROSALES

Hey folks, I'm back. Awesome time as always, interviewing another musician...please read up, my interview with LA-based singer Raelynne Rosales!

Raelynne Rosales (born August 13, 1990) is a California-based singer/songwriter, and another big name on YouTube. A great singer in her own right already, she also writes her own music and has also been featured as a performer in blogTV's Featured Acoustic Playlist in July this year, which had other big names like Lydia Paek, Gabe Bondoc and the like. She and I spoke for a bit on her take on things, so enjoy!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I started doing music when i was 16 and i was lead singer in two bands..but i started going solo when i was 17, so about 2-3 years now.

What style of music do you generally play?
its really a mixture of stuff..its a bit pop-ish with an inspired jazzy sound, a little bit of soul? haha its hard to describe. it just has a whole lot of feeling.

How did you first get involved in music?
I grew up loving music..i've been dancing since i was 8 years old, but one summer when i was 16, my cousin Justin called me while i was eating hot wings and asked if i wanted to record in a friend's studio just for the hell of it. I fell in love. lol

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
Well at first it was just to promote my band, we were called "the fashion trends" hahah >.< but when i started doing solo videos it was just to show people my original songs..thats why i dont have many covers up on youtube.

Who are your biggest musical influences?
Hmm this is a hard question because i am inspired by so many people/things. I dont look to other people and try to grab my sound off of them..if what im feeling at the time sounds similar to other artists, it just does. but i do look to some of my friends in the whole music community and admire their hard work to get where they are.

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
It feels amazing! i dont think that I am some sort of superstar or anything close to that..but the fact that even 1 person that doesnt know me listens to my music is just..wow. lol i get all weirded out in a good way. lol i love it though!

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
OH MAN lets go down the list?? hahah there are just so many people. I love to do things that i havent done before..i like to challenge myself. but i think my top three would be people like Lady GaGa, Passion, and maybe lil wayne and drake, just because it seems like theyre on everyone's tracks lately. lol ohh! and my friends Flow Ethics. They're boomb! haha

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
My most popular cover has definitely been "Cardigan Weather" by Meg and Dia. When I was in my first band, thats covered almost all their songs so Im like pro at singing them now haha. I guess my most popular original is between "Wont stop this feeling" and "Intentions"..im not exactly too sure..i wrote them over a year apart so i guess thats accountable for the number of views. lol

How was the experience of being in the music video for Kris Mark's song "Who Is She"?
Hahahah! oh goodness. if i had two words to describe the whole thing, I'd say awkward and fun. Kris Mark is like a brother to me, I met him early on in my so-called "music career" and acting like im into him was just funny, not to mention that both his girlfriend and my boyfriend were there to watch us flirt with each other the whole time!

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
Lately, I've been playing a lot of Melissa Polinar and Jason Mraz and the soundtrack to "Fame" but i love anything upbeat and dance-able. I teach a hip-hop class to younger kids so i like to introduce them to new music..oh! and since i mostly listen to music in my car..its like my practice time..so i listen to stuff like whitney houston and tamia. I dont usually sing that kind of music, it's fun to get out of my comfort zone. and plus..its funny when people catch me..i'll start singing to them. lol

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
ahh i cant pick! i take a composition book around..so when even if i only think of one line..ill write it down..that or ill put it in my phone or something. i write anywhere and everywhere..unless im in the shower.. but im thinking of actually putting a white board at the opposite wall in my shower so i can write it down temporarily if i think of something..hah!

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
Definitely my best friend, Michael Cupino. Musically, he's like my boyfriend. even my real boyfriend knows that I'd choose mike over him..hahah It's like we have this connection. I make a melody and he just knows how i want it to sound. he's crazy! he's the reason why people love my music. Im just the image..its actually him singing..hahah jk jk. Mike and I met back in the 7th grade..he was in my cousin's band..and later on..he was in the my band. We fell in love there..hahah he'd probably feel all weird reading this and hit me or something. lol he's abusive like that. lol JK!

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
HM..well i dance...i try to dance a lot. its my only form of exercise now that im not in high school and stopped doing cheer. lol..i have a huge shopping problem. if my parents took stopped paying for everything and kicked me out..i'd probably be living in a box looking really cute. haha! I spend a lot of time with my 5-year-old brother too so I play mommy a lot..it's funny how people look at me when im with him. lol

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
Im not looking for fame or fortune..music is just my way of expressing myself. I used to be really depressed and i found that voicing my opinion through music is just so much healthier and it always makes me feel good. I guess all i can say is that i hope i give that same feeling to people..whether they listen to the lyrics and totally understand what i meant..or just get them to tap their toes or bob their heads..i just want them to enjoy! lol

Do you have any final words for the readers?
Hmm well I all i'd want to do is to encourage everyone to do what they love to do. Dont deprive the rest of the world of your talents because you never know who you can inspire. Oh and thank you to everyone who has listened to my music and has supported me, even if it was the slightest bit! the smallest action of support is still support and i am VERY appreciative. =)


And there you go. Merci beaucoup to Rae for the interview, and until next time, stay tuned!

J~


Raelynne Rosales

No comments:

Post a Comment