Saturday, April 17, 2010

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH YouTube MUSICIANS - MARTINI MA

Hey guys, guess what? That's right, another interview, this time with talented singer Martini Ma!

Martini Ma (born December 20, 1990 in the UK) is a UK-based YouTube musician. Having just competed in the Hummingbird Music Brand New Star contest, this musician's fanbase has grown exponentially, and it's no wonder since this singer has no where to go but up! Check it out!

How long have you been doing music for? Are you doing it professionally or independently?
I've been doing music ever since I was a kid, I used to sing to all these old school Chinese songs that were in films and put on these shows for my mum with my sisters being my backing singers/dancers as I would be the lead singer. I started playing the piano when I was really little, but I never really paid too much attention (which I really regret), because I really disliked my teacher - he was really mean! and made me hate playing the piano, so I stopped for a few years. I also played the violin for a while in primary school. I started having piano lessons again when I was 16 with another teacher (In which I also started having singing lessons with and was classically trained) in which I stayed with for about 1 and a half years - ( I stopped because I had to go to uni) I studied music for my GCSE's and for one year at college, but despite getting good grades for my performances, I decided to give up because I didn't like the theory side of things and wasn't doing too well in that area either.
I'm doing music independently but hoping to do it professionally in the future.

What style of music do you generally perform?
I'd say I mostly perform ballad type songs, and the classical hits that most people know.

How did you first get involved in music?
Well, I used to play the piano, violin, and recorder (which I forgot to mention above :P) so I guess thats how I first got involved, but I mostly enjoyed singing when I first joined choir in secondary school.. me and my friends thought we would join for a laugh, and I ended up having a really good time, and was in the choir for 5 years. I took part in competitions at school and loved taking part in the concerts the school organised.

What made you decide to starting YouTubing your musical talent?
I had a Youtube account for ages, but never really thought to upload anything, till Feb this year my friends and sisters would tell me to upload some videos, but I didn't ever want to as I didn't want to be put down or receive harsh criticisms - as I knew it would knock my confidence. However I went to my friends home studo one time and started doing some singing and he made me realise how much I had miss doing music and singing, so I was at halls in uni one day and thought i'd give it a go, afterall, criticisms could be a way to improve :)

Who are your biggest musical influences?
Leona Lewis - she is a major influence!! and I am the biggest fan! I absolutely adore her, she is such an amazing girl, not only musicaly but she just seems like such a down to earth person!
Others include (globally): Karina Paison, Beyonce, Ayaka, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Gem Tang, Alicia Keys, Jay Chou, Eva Cassidy, Mozart. Seriously a lot but i'll have to stop here

How does it feel to be getting all this support from people for doing what you do?
It feels really good, you can't appreciate anything more than just having people support you for what you do. It is truly amazing as these people are why you do what you do, cos its them that you wanna share your music with. They work like an energy to keep pushing you to carry on, and to never give up.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
There are just so so many but Leona Lewis and Gem Tang would definetly be on top of my list.

You took part in the recent 'Brand New Star' contest run by Hummingbird Music in HK, how was that experience?
It was such an experience, I can barely explain.. I feel so lucky and privellaged to have been one of the 16 finalists in the competition. However it was really sad that I couldn't go to the final audition/interview of the competition as it took place in Hong Kong, and I was in UK - unable to get away due to my studies and a sudden funding for the flights etc. However, the experince has been amazing and really given me a confidence boost.

What has been your most popular cover on YouTube? Your most popular original song on YouTube?
My most popular cover is 'Ave Maria' By Beyonce, in which I entered the 'Brand new star' competition with. I haven't uploaded any of my original songs yet as I haven't found a good equipment to record me singing and playing the piano at the same time. However, I have got a backing track of a song that I composed a while back, so I'll be uploading that soon I guess ;)

I imagine you have a lot of music tastes; what do you normally play on your iPod and/or when you’re at home?
I listen to quite a wide range of music, varying from Chinese/Jpop/Korean pop/Jazz/Classical and RnB

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
It can be anywhere really, as it's in me that feels the urge to write/create music, I could be on the beach, in the train, seriously anywhere, something has just got to hit me emotionally, and it can spur my thoughts to compose.

Who is your closest musician friend, and how did you two meet?
I guess my closest musician friend is Chris Kwok - I met him through some other friends, and he has been so supportive of my music, letting me work in his studio etc.

What do you do in your spare time when you’re not playing music?
hmm..spare time..shopping, doing my nails, browsing the internet, facebooking, having a good time with friends, partying.. - What every other uni student likes to do?! I guess! :P

What do you hope to accomplish while being involved in music?
I want music to be part of my career in the future, even if it means working behind the scenes or whatever, I just want music to be a part of me forever. I wanna be able to move and let people be able to relate to my music and just feel like they can enjoy listening to my stuff.

Do you have any final words for the readers?
Never let anyone tell you you can't do something! Believe in yourself and strive for what you wish - remember, anything worth having needs to be worked hard for ;)

And And AND! A big big thank you for reading my long winded answers :P (I could so extend them, but thought better not bore you guys xp)
Thank you all for supporting me, it really means so so SOOOoo much to me!! Feel free to get in contact with me :D
email: martinimamusic@googlemail.
com
website: www.xanga.com/martini_ma
youtube: www.youtube.com/martinima

Love you guys ♥


Thanks to Martini for the interview, and thanks again for continuing to support!

J~

Martini Ma

1 comment: